3DPMiniatures

• www.printablescenery.com models for RPG and Wargames

• Discuss 3D model files from professional model sites
Discuss 3D model files from professional model sites
 #56  by smok
 Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:28 am
Is this a suitable place to post questions on how to build stuff using the OpenLock system? If not, please delete this post!

I am trying to build some rooms for Dungeon Saga. I tried using Visio to create the rooms but cannot see how to make the walls easily. Firstly the room is as shown in teh attached graphic
Sample room.jpg
Sample Room
Sample room.jpg (58.37 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

Most of the walls fit OK but I have a number of 0.25"x0.25" gaps in the room walls. How would you suggest filling them? I can see that I could make lots of individual I floor tiles and it looks like it would work but if possible I want to use much larger tiles to make assembly/breakdown much easier.

Thanks
Richard
 #58  by srmalloy
 Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm
Looking at the Heavy Walls set, it looks to me as if you need to replace your four IN wall pieces with J pieces; that will close off the gaps there. The gaps next to the A piece are more problematic, but I believe if you replaced the A piece with an IN piece, that would make room above and below it to drop in J pieces; the J pieces won't be clipped into the rest of the board, but they'll be trapped between the pieces around them.
 #64  by smok
 Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:46 am
I saw that article with the I columns but didn't like the way it looked. This is what fuelled my quest to see how I would do this.

I can't find the extended floor tiles in my Indiegogo downloads - should they be in there? They look like they should help. I had a look on the pledge page on the PS site and found it. I'll have a look at them

Overall I think the geometry works well for outside corners with the BA and C Walls. Inside corners are a bit of a problem. I think what I would like to see is an L shaped wall piece that is the two edges of a 1"x1" square. This would allow easy completions of inside corners.

Incase anyone comes across this thread and thinks it is saying that PS are poor models, it is the exact opposite. I like the models a lot, it's just that the geometry is not quite right for the way I want to use it. This is one of the great advantages of sol files as they can change a bit rather than being stuck with whatever it was at the point it was purchased,
 #65  by srmalloy
 Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:19 pm
I saw that article with the I columns but didn't like the way it looked.

Other than that, the only solution I can think of would be to load the IN wall model into Meshmixer and do a diagonal cut at a corner, then mirror the result and slide the cut edges together and merge the two pieces to make an 'inner corner' wall piece