3DPMiniatures

• What a good printer to use for printing dungeon tiles ?

• Advice and recommendations about buying your first 3D Printer
Advice and recommendations about buying your first 3D Printer
 #63  by DungeonMaster
 Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:22 am
I've ordered a Prusa i3 Mk2 online in kit form. Has great features and a large (200 x 200 x 180) print volume.

You can get them ready made but I've gone with the kit so I can learn more about it and can upgrade it myself (amusingly enough by printing off the upgrades)
 #71  by Maledrakh
 Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:01 pm
Me being a complete novice when it came to 3d printing, bought a Flashforge Finder just before christmas.
This is an inexpensive and easy to use, plug and play printer that only prints PLA, but does it well. It prints down to .08mm, which is about as smooth as smooth can be, with very minor visible stepping and just a few visible print lines. It has a 14x14x14cm print area, which is a bit small, but perfectly usable for scenery items.

It operates with low noise and very little smell.

I had an early issue with the printed pieces curling/ lifting from the print bed, but all I needed to do to keep things flat on the print bed was to cover it with the box it came in when printing, to exclude the draft that cooled the PLA too soon.
I have had one blockage that was simple enough to clear, there are tutorials on youtube that says how to do it.

For my use to make wargaming scenery, bases and such stuff, it has turned out to be en excellent choice. It prints both detailed tanks in 1/100 scale and great scenery in warhammer scale without issues. It prints the openlock dungen tiles from printable scenery just fine.

I am sure there are better printers around, but I found this to be both one of the cheapest on the market, ready to use and it makes good quality prints.

I heartily recomment this one, especially to novices who are intimidated by all the DIY kits out there.